Friday, January 12, 2007

Hey, where's my footnote?

Well, darn it, it's supposed to be here. I edited, answered the questions, checked the boxes, but no footnote down there. Well, at least I did away with "That Cleaning Lady" and put in my name. Since most of you know I'm a cleaning lady, I thought it was time for a more personalized name.

We're hanging in here, the weather has moved on east of us, and everywhere in town are trees and fences laying over. SO sad to see those 100+ year old trees fallen down, and all the destruction caused! Lots of people came to the aid of those in need when the trees hit power lines and so many were (and some still are) out of power. I don't remember when I was little being without power for more than maybe a day, Dad would build a fire in the fireplace, and we'd sit around and talk, or I'd read by a lantern and go to bed early. Saddens me to have it confirmed just how reliant on electricity we are. One of my clients wanted to watch TV so went to a motel. He wasn't concerned about being cold or being hungry for hot food, he just needed that idiot box. Another couple were without power from Sunday night to Wednesday night, they had to toss out a bunch of food that went soft in the freezer, and refused to go to a motel, they just bundled up and waited it out. They did go to their daughters' house on Tuesday night though since the daughter's power went back on finally.
Oh - by the way - that reminds me, those of you that have power-garage door openers. PLEASE make sure you know that you can open the door even if the power is out!!! The above noted daughter of the client was stranded in her house for 2 days because didn't know that the funny red cord hanging down from the garage door opener is an emergency opener!! What do you think would happen if the house caught fire and the firefighters needed to get the car out of the garage? Do you think they just bust open the door?? Nope, they pull the little handle and then the opener dis-engages, and you can roll the door right on up. Neato- huh?
We had no damage to trees or roof thank God. Lots of people's entire roof's blew away in the storm on Sunday. There was no one killed in town, and thank God again.

Amanda is getting ready to move her and Fay into a little one-bedroom apartment. I had the chance to talk to Useless Man last night, and advise him that I spent 15 years hunting down deadbeats and if I needed to find him, it would be very simple to do. He knows he can't run and he certainly can't hide. Hopefully he's going to keep all the promises he's made concerning his daughter. I still want him set up for wage garnishment, but Amanda is adamant that as long as he's taking Fay half the time and keeping up with bill payments and car payments and all that, that she doesn't think it's fair to make him pay child support too. Yup...we'll see.

As for my crochetting, I'm done with two afghans and waiting for yarn for a 3rd. I'm going to be reading a new Ron Franscell book (see his blog at Under The News) the book is called Fall, and I have read The Deadline and Angel Fire by him. I really enjoy Ron's writing, he writes just like he talks according to my Gram - and she would know, they are personal friends.

Oh, about lost Benny to the local owl the other night. I was washing dishes and looking out the kitchen window, saw the swoop and wings diving into our yard, and suddenly there was Ben on the cat perch in the front window, his eyes about as big as saucers. Guess he out-ran the bird, boy am I thankful to God one more time. Guess ol' owly might have tried for Buddy, but Bud weighs 30 pounds, probably too big for the owl to carry. I'll have to ask Morgan about that (Token Hippie). Meanwhile, take good care all, and good luck with your income taxes!!

In case it's not there -- the footnote is supposed to read:
Following Jesus, and tripping over the cats!! Jana

2 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

Gee, you must have had a very strong storm ! I have seen in TV that there was a big storm in Oklahoma with killed people. Hope there were no victims at your place !
I just changed your "get off the phone" into Jana because each time I miss it when I do my blog hiking and when I opened, you had changed too ! What a coincidence ! I haven't heard of you for quite a while, did you miss my bloghouse while wandering around ? Or lost my house nr ?
BTW, why don't you join my CATS ON TUESDAY creation ? It's really funny and nice people. Most of them have a normal blog but a cat or more and enjoy to write once a week about them. There are only two cat bloggers (no comment)

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

Hi Jana, happy to hear from you again ! Of course one comment for all posts is enough, I am not a comment hunter and I am not excercising for comments either, lol ! but I always read with pleasure nice comments of course. I thought already you forgot me ! Of course I am weird and somebody even called me "edged". I had made a polite comment about her beloved Bush. I can't help it but I cannot understand that a normal person agrees to have sent more troops to Irak ! Somebody said it were a meat grinder, and to this I agree ! Loved the expression.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home