Monday, October 23, 2006

No more blindly celebrating holidays

Well, Morgan at "The Token Hippie" reminded me that I wanted to talk about holiday's, and why I stopped "celebrating" them so many years ago.

My earliest memory of giving up on holiday things was about 15 years ago when I read about the origins of the famed christmas tree. I considered it cruel and unjust for a beautiful tree to be cut off from its roots, denied water and sunlight for some unknown amount of time, then to be hauled outside and tossed to the gutter, no thanks. Then I find out that this little item had zip to do with Jesus, when I typed in "origins of the christmas tree" in google, BOY OH BOY did I get an eye opener.

I thought I knew the origins of christmas, valentine's day, mother's day, father's day, easter, st. patrick's day, columbus day, thanksgiving. But those old history books of yore and mindless classroom drivel didn't do justice to the truth one can find on the computer nowadays. Just type in any of those words and find out things you never really wanted to know. I know I didn't, but as Jesus said: once you know the truth, you are no longer innocent of it. No, that's not a quote for those of you that are digging out the Bible, but there is a couple of places where Jesus says something darn close to that, and it's something that I believe.

Which is why I haven't celebrated any holidays in many years. I don't want to piss of Jesus by celebrating holidays that have origins in bloodbaths and murders or celebrations of death. Holidays are commericalized to the point that the only TRUE way to show someone you love them is to buy something you can't afford and they don't need!! How many people do you know that regularly return the gifts you give them? How much time, effort, gas, money, and stress do you spend to give people gifts that they don't like, want, or appreciate? WHY would you do that to yourself anyway? Holidays are designed to profit the stores, malls, and mail-orders, gas companies, credit card companies, and in the longrun, collection agencies that go after you when you can't pay your bills.

So, I get a lot of guff (same as Erik who commented on The Token Hippie) for refusing to "celebrate", to stress myself and spend money I don't have to buy gifts for people I don't necessarily like (family and former co-workers alike). I see on TV often people who gloat over the fact that they return or "re-gift" most of the things they are given. IF those people were on my gift list, they wouldn't be anymore.

I'm not going to slave over a hot stove all day to cook a huge meal for ungrateful slobs who will drop in and complain about the food, watch my TV, snooze on my sofa, drink my booze (when I had any in the house), then wander off before the dishes are done. They usually show up again around December 25th to see if I bought them something useless they can return and get something they really want!! I don't need a diamond to know how much Chris loves me, I certainly don't need candy. I'm not Irish and don't consider it necessary to drink green beer. I don't celebrate ANY U.S. holiday because it's all BS anyway. Already discussed thanksgiving and christmas up there.... what else. Oh, my birthday. Well, Jesus didn't celebrate his birthday, and what I read in the Bible doesn't indicate to me that He was born on the 25th of December, in fact it is my opinion that He was born in the springtime, more around April (thus the Spring Lamb).

I agree with some of The Token Hippie's responders about the difference in paganism, christianity, catholisizm, etc. Every holiday has it roots in some pagan rite or some ritual or another. There are a lot of people who won't agree with me, and hopefully we won't have to hear from too many "you're damned to hell" types, because I truly believe in and follow Jesus every day of my life. Anyone that can show me in the Bible where Jesus celebrated anything besides passover is more than welcome to stop by. I think people who stress themselves and empty their pockets and max out their credit cards are damned too, to a shorter life span because they're too stressed with keeping up with the Jones's and not as concerned about taking time to take a long walk, smell the roses, and thank Jesus for every healthful stress free moment we are given. Of course all that stress and bad eating will only help out the hospitals and doctors and pharmacies!

I'd be interested in how many of you find out things you never knew about holidays and if you've changed your minds on how you'll celebrate things in the future. Please leave out those "tradition" comments, because that's bunk. Tradition talks have come from Chris's parents about thanksgiving. Bahhhh and baloney. Just because it's a celebration of taking over the Indian's land, making them slaves, and in the end killing them for being nice to the whites, we'll just make it a celebration of family and too much food. Tradition be darned, it's all made-up BS from someone who wants to sell something, or wants a day off with pay.

6 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

I agree fully with you ! For me Christmas had been a torture over the years because I were invaded by my parents who put their noses in everything. Horror ! Now it's a little nicer because we spend Christmas at our son's home he loves it (that's his business) This year I took my husband by the feet, and we go to Egypt in the Sunshine for Christmas, as our son is in Thailand. I would say 90 % of the people here are never going to church and never talk about religion but celebrate everything. When I started blogging here, I were surprised about 90 % of blogs are always occupied with "God bless", the Lord,bible citations (even on my blog) etc. I don't blame them, but I am just not used to it. I don't even know if my neighbours believe in God, although we are living for 31 years in the same street and know each other very well ! Everybody is catholic anyway (except me I am protestant) but nobody cares. That's private and it would be like talking what it's happening in your bedroom.
A few feasts have been added for spending money, like ST. Valentin's, grandparentsday on top of motherday and fatherday. But there is no day off.
The only thing I really liked about all these festivities was that I could stay home or go on a trip !

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Well thank you!! Chris and I try to go to the ocean every year for Christmas and my birthday. We so enjoy the water and the beach and the wonderful solitude of being away from all the family and the bitter holiday business.



I don't as a rule talk about religion with people, because like you, I think it's none of my business and none of theirs. If they want to ask me, I'll tell them my opinions, but I have alienated a lot of people because of what I say. I don't know the name of my religion, because I don't believe in churches at all (and have gotten a lot of guff about that too!!). I think church is just a place to show other people how beautiful you are or how much money you are going to spend on the church and show up the other members at how much better of a (name your religion here) you are. *not YOU* When I was younger and looking for God, I tried Catholic, Mormon, 7th Day Adventist, various non-denominational chuches... and always found the same thing... FIRST they wanted to know how much I was willing to do, give, volunteer for. THEN women would look at me to see if I was dressing better than them, and if I were single, would I be in the running for someone for their son? BAHHH to all of it. When the door-to-door religion salesmen come to our house, I run them off, Chris lets them in. He likes to listen to their speeches and Bible quotations so he can call them wrong and show them how their wrong. Usually he has them so frustrated and upset that they start looking at their watches saying "Oops we're missing our appointment with Miss Smith down the road!!" Gotta love that guy!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Teresa said...

I know this is lame, but I do it for the kids. That's all I have to say.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Well, go to Teresa's blog and see what happened on her halloween, then come back here and see if you don't agree with me just a little bit!!! Sorry Teresa for being nasty, but having lost a child one time, and the story is down below here somewhere, you can see why I feel like I do about that subject. But this is about celebrating death, which is NOT with the teachings of Jesus, and that's what I have to say about it. Rather hurt some little kids feelings and give him some candy at home if that's the point, and tell him/her the TRUTH about it all. No smart kid is going to follow along just because all the other kids (and/or adults) are out there in the dark and cold and probably wet for a bag of goodies that promote bad teath and obesity. Thanks, I'll pass.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

I believe you completely misunderstood my comment. I don't leave nasty comments on other people's blogs. I never have and don't intent to. I only commented because I read your blog and I thought I would leave a simple (I thought) comment to let you know I was a reader. I'm not sure why you left that comment on my blog. I would never question your parenting. As to my comment, I merely meant that I do not really enjoy all of the holiday stuff but I do it for my children. The "that's all I have to say" part was because I didn't want to get into a long explanation as to why I don't enjoy some of the holiday hoopla myself. I meant absolutely nothing by what I wrote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home