Friday, September 29, 2006

Standing in the confusion of the medical field

Ok, so yesterday I went to my beloved chiropractor and naturopathic physician. Dr. H has been straightenening my back and neck for almost 16 years since that first fall in the grocery store right after we moved to Washington State. Today I am a better adjusted grandma!!

Anyway, he has always been happy to give nutritional and exercise advise when I ask him for it, and he's been keeping an eye on my broken ankle too. Since he doesn't have an x-ray machine in his office, it was necessary for me to visit the other side of the fence. So, I told him about the second x-rays and the advise of the M.D. to stay off it, keep the cast on, and settle myself down. His reaction was as it usually is when faced with opposing views. He said you are likely not getting enough protein in your diet... which is the building block that the bone needs to heal from the inside out. Not much you can do from the outside is going to help really, except by taking off the cast and walking around bare-footed in the house you are sending attention signals to the brain that that broken bone is there and the body has to work on healing that area so its not so sore to walk on. Well dogonne!! I love hearing I'm nearly right!!

Of course its difficult to get enough protein because I don't eat beef or pork (not religious, just can't deal with the way farmers treat those animals and the indifference to the consumers health....but that's another rant). So, Dr. H. gives me a sheet outlining various forms of protein and the amounts he recommends I consume daily. The sheet says that eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, wild fish, beans, meat and poultry are excellent sources. I have some other material from the Vegan Diet website too, and I'm re-reading that stuff. There are things on that list I don't like -- like tofu, pork, beef, cow's milk. But peanut butter and brown rice are on there, and I eat those often. So, I'm going to pump up my protein intake and add a slice of ginger root every day to help heal too. I'm going to take this cast off every day too just like I've been doing to help that bone heal.

Now, here comes the soap-box:
I've heard old-timers say "Use it or lose it"... well I agree, if I don't use this leg I'm going to lose use of it, or have problems my whole life with it because I didn't heal it properly. Medical doctors don't want a person to get well, if they got well, what would the doctors do with their time and all those drugs and expensive equipment they have in their offices? How many MD's do you know that tell you if you'd only exercise more and drink more water that you'd feel better, and you wouldn't have to keep coming to see me? Nearly every time they tell you take this pill or consult this other doctor - who will recommend some pill or surgery. And this pill causes some reaction that takes another pill to work on, and soon you have one of those pill boxes with daily slots... more pills than would choke a horse. One book I have--the introduction says "...the water taken with the medication does more good than the medication itself." I have a client with what I consider to be clear signs of dehydration - her feet are swollen, her joints hurt her all the time, she has serious stomach troubles. And what does her MD suggest? That she take a water pill and drink LESS water!!! I'm so mad that I'd love to go find that guy and kick him in his shin-bones. How DARE he tell her to drink less water!! He should tell her what I've been telling her! Drink more water, get off the pork and beef and use sea salt. Of course, I'm only a lowly housekeeper with no credentials, so what do I know?
Well, I'll tell you what I know... Jesus has put this knowledge in my hands to share with people that I come in contact with that need to know that Doctors are only out to sell pills and surgery. They get kickbacks from the drug companies and make commissions for referrals and everyone benefits from a person that needs long-term care, like cancer or diabetis, or heart troubles. They care even less about you than the useless boxboy carrying your groceries to the car or the kid behind the counter at McDonald's. You are only a boat payment or another day at Cabo-San-Lucas for their much needed months vacation.
Here's my suggestion, read something about dehydration, find out if you (or you, or you) really are dehydrated and mal-nourished, and if you'd just get more water into your body how much better you'd feel!! I haven't had a migraine in almost 2 years, my bones don't ache, and I don't have the stomach problems I did for so long!! Take care and God Bless!

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more.I am currently in a cast as well for 9 weeks and still not fully healed and doctor wants to keep me in the cast and I am pretty upset,he tells me calcium,vitamins and I don;t smoke.Anyway how are you feeling?Does your cast also cause discomfort?mortgagebank1@yahoo.com

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Hi Jana, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with your ankle. I know all about those casts. Last summer, I was getting ready to have a yard sale, and I picked up this huge picture and the wooden frame came apart and the glass (unbroken) fell straight down onto the top of my foot. I knew right away that I had cut the ligament completely...because my big toe just dropped down and I couldn't lift it. It was a little tiny cut but it went deep enough to do some real damage. I drove myself to the hospital, and they did surgery. I was put into a hard cast up to my knee which I wore for four weeks. When they removed it, I still couldn't move my toe and they put me into a removable cast and I wore it for another four weeks. After that I wore a special shoe for about two weeks. It was terrible. And even now, I can't move my toe. I don't know if the ligament didn't heal back or maybe the muscle has gotten weak. It was a pain having to go through with all of that so I can truly sympathize with you. Hang in there and keep smilin'.
I haven't forgotten the patterns. It's been busy around here this week, but I will do my best to get them to you very soon.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Hi Clara,
Sorry you went through 10 weeks of heck for not much! Clara, seems to
me that surgeon owes you a refund!!! Have you considered a suit since
your toe doesn't work still after all that?

I have been riding my bicycle (an hour today) and am working up the
nerve to work in two shoes - tomorrow is only 6 hours and all 3 houses
are one level, so might brave up and see how it goes, will take the boot
just in case I decide I can't handle it for all day.

I'm sure you're busy so will appreciate when you get a chance to get those patterns to me. Can I give you an address and send you some postage money?

Thanks for sharing the pics from your trip too - sure looks like you guys had fun!!

Your e-mail address isn't working for some reason, so have to hope you'll be reading this site - you can reach me at my e-mail
jch98850@yahoo.com
thanks!!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

Lazy girl ! checked on you today to see if you have pondered something but no, I only see chats in comments ! I didn't even know that you can chat in comments and saw this for the first time on Mrs. Angry's blog. She also is still with her ironing story but I had to laugh about you both ! So from now on I won't read blogs any more but look in the comments !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home