Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hatred of Cell Phones has basis in fact!

It's not that I HATE cell phones for NO reason, there IS a reason. March of 2004, while sitting at a stoplight MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS. I was hit from behind by some self-important twit on a cell phone, driving her car 15 miles and hour over the speed limit. My car was totalled, I was hurt, my work suffered, and this woman looked at me aghast and said she couldn't understand why I was being so darn snotty!! This was after she backed her car off the rear bumper of my car!

N.R.A.'ers say that it's not the cell phone that caused the accident, it's the distracted users with their minds on "what's for dinner", or ''what's on TV" as the cause... and you're totally right. So therefore, outlaw cell phone usage in cars, same as outlawing loaded weapons in cars. After all--in a driveby shooting, it was the driver/passenger, not the gun that caused the killing. (Well, what if they were all holding banana's instead of weapons/cell phones?)

Ok, so everyone HANG UP THE PHONE, concentrate on what you're doing!! Remember there are kids and old people(like me) out there with no IDEA that you are NOT concentrating on the 10,000 pound killing machine you are maneuvering with ONE HAND(or less)!! Am I the only person that took Driver's Ed? We were taught 10 and 2!! Both hands on the wheel, don't look around, don't talk, no drinking, eating, or READING while driving. There weren't cell phones at that time to be warned against using while driving, but I bet if there were we would have been. Nowadays I see the driving school instructors on cell phones while students are in the car driving, and using their cell phones. Wonder if they're talking to eachother?

The truth is, I HAD a cell phone. My mom was very ill and I kept the cell phone for about 2 years so she could call me in the event of an emergency. After she passed away in 2002 there wasn't any reason to be reachable anymore, and I got rid of the phone. Too many times I would hear the damn thing ringing in my book bag while driving to class at the local community college. Being a blond and left handed and driving a stick shift car, it was imperative that I pull over and stop the car to dig in the bag, find the phone, and answer it. Usually it was my boyfriend, my daughter, or my mother, all with some form of the same question: Where are you and what are you doing, and when will you be here? I see people pulled over on their phones, and I applaud them for using safe handling practices. THANK YOU...

3 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Ron Franscell said...

I admit to occasional cell-phone use while driving. A bad thing, I admit. Often, my cell conversations -- not just in the car, but anywhere -- consist of "So what are you doing?" "Nothing, what are you doing?" "Nothing, what happened today?" Nothing, how about you?"

AAAAAck!

I gotta believe that 80% of the people who have cell phones don't truly need the immediate and far-flung communications they provide, and 80% of all conversations could certainly wait until we had a landline at hand.

I always laugh when I see a couple walking through the mall or sitting in a restaurant and they're BOTH talking on cell phones! What, your companions isn't good enough? And have you ever seen three or four teen girls together, ALL talking on cell phones? I have.

So even though I have a cell phone and I occasionally use it in ways I shouldn't, I'm also frustrated by the ways cell phones have invaded our culture.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger D. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today, and for your kind words. I was much more fortunate than you in my car battering incident yesterday - but you are correct, 90% of the people who are driving like idiots out there are on the phone, and I seethe when I see it. I hope your cellphone twit was cited for the accident at least?

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Hi D, yes, she was sited for the accident, as it was totally her fault. I hope that your car is going to get fixed soon so you don't have to drive that land yacht for too long. And if Mr. Gentleman was on the phone, I hope he gets the book thrown at him too.
Thanks for your response, I'm happy to stop by your and Vinnie's blogs, plus Under the News and a couple others that are very interesting. Take care =-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home