Monday, August 21, 2006

Updated ankle report...

In case you were concerned... =-)

It's broken. The doctor on Wednesday took a couple of x-ray's and announced that yep, the tibia (that stickey out ankle bone) was snapped clean in half, thankfully wasn't displaced, and all I have to do is wear a cast and use crutches for a short 6-week period and all will be well again soon. They were all admirably impressed with the story of the 5 mile hike out on that ankle, but I didn't know it was broken, and still had to get down off the mountain, broken or not. Chris told me a story (while we were hiking out) of some guy that broke his leg and crawled out 10 miles then had to wait 2 days in someone's tent for them to hike out and get help. Ok, maybe someone in that group should have had a cell phone!! The nurse favored me with his horror story of a badly ended bicycle ride down Devils Gulch that ended at the bottom with him falling off the bike and breaking his knee against a rock. He had to ride out 6 miles. Gosh there are some idiots out here huh?

But DOCTOR, how will I shower.... shave my legs... WORK??? She said those aren't the important issues, the healing of the bone is. Well, having had a broken ankle in high school (yes, same one), I remember vividly the hairy, smelly, skinny leg that was cut free from that cast after 6 long weeks. I was 16 then and didn't seem to take long to get that muscle tone back, well I'm not 16 anymore, and 6 weeks in a cast at my age would do a lot more harm than good.

My bigger argument is how I'm supposed to work. In case you didn't get it from my signon, I'm a cleaning lady, most of my clientelle are senior citizens that need help, and as much as they like me, if I can't do the job, then someone else is going to get called. Loyalty only lasts as long as the person is there and doing the job right. So, we settled on this sexy black strap-on unit that I can take off to shower, shave and sleep. I am hobbling pretty successfully and I can work. It's not pretty, no doubt but I can drive the stick shift and get to work.

So, the ankle break was last Saturday, and guess what? We started our vacation this weekend. Friday when we both finished work we are off for 10 days!! Well, I'm sitting on the fanny working on the computer, our 3 day hike is cancelled and the plan-B trip to Lincoln City is postponed, I don't want to sit in the motel room while Chris has all the fun down on the beach without me. Oh well, 6 weeks isn't all that long...

3 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Blogger Moobear said...

Hello my friend!
So sorry to hear about your ankle. I hope you mend well and fast! Nice blog you have here. Welcome to Blogsville! I just started in June, so we shall learn the ropes together. Take care of the ankle.
Thanks for your visit and I bookmarked yours! Have a great day!
God Bless!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger D. said...

Godspeed on the healing. I broke my ankle earlier this summer and know what you're going through. And (this is the crappy part), I've been really surprised at how long it's taken to fully heal, which has everything to do with age. I too broke a bone in my teen years, and it healed as fast as a scabby knee. I'm in my 30s now, and man, does the healing process slow down. Way down. It's been three months, and I still have regular black and blue swelling flare ups. Just keep active and you'll get through it.

Enjoy your vacation!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Well, I'm in my 40's so should take even longer for me. I'm so anxious to get active again. So far I'm hobbling around, that's about all. The cast on my right foot deters much serious movement, and when I take it off the swelling keeps me even more deterred.



Hope that your friend Vinnie doesn't mind my crap-giving too much, my dear brother Rick died of AIDS after a short lifetime of "future ex husbands" and I love flipping someone some crap since Ricky isn't around anymore. He'd have loved blogging.



I'm pretty active as a rule, being a full-time housekeeper, plus Chris and I hike(d) a lot. I'm not sure how much hiking we'll be doing once I'm back on both feet, he's feeling pretty bad about the whole situation, and is still mad about the break. He feels like it was my fault I got hurt because I don't listen to him enough, haven't worked hard enough to get in better shape and lose weight. Though I have lost 3 sizes since we started out together 5 years ago, it's not good enough at all. His life has been one long competition, with only the goal line or finish line in sight. Mine is another blog...



Thanks too for your kindness and concern, it's nice to get it fromsomewhere!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home