Monday, November 06, 2006

To Blog--or not to Blog

Well, got a little chiding because I don't post every day on here. Some days I can't think of an intelligent thing to talk about. Other days, I spend my talking time commenting on other blogs, and there are LOTS of interesting blogs out there to comment on. I try to have something to talk about, but living here in middle-of-no-where, and being a cleaning lady (thus the name), and being one to try HARD to avoid the whole political business, some days all that leaves is the cats, and mostly all they do is lay around and snore.

However; in Reno, Nevada where I come from, an old landmark hotel was burned in an arson fire and 9 people have been found dead. A resident has been arrested for starting her mattress on fire and being responsible for those deaths. I left Reno in 1990 to move north after my parents moved up here, and have only been "home" twice since then. In 16 years the entire area has multiplied and grown so that I hardly recognize my little home town anymore. I went to school from 3rd grade through graduation in 1980 there with most of the same kids. With 4 high schools there at the time, there were choices to make, and since I was zoned for a "black" school (sorry...sorry) my parents opted to variance me to the "cowboy" school a few miles away. So I was a railroader, went to the "maroon and gold" school, learned how hard work being in choir was, and had the best time of my young life being in Mr. Skogsberg's music classes. See, I have always been overweight, and when I got to high school I could choose between physical education and ROTC, which I did, and I seem to recall there was a choice between science lab classes and music, so I chose music. My worst memory of singing was one particular concert we were giving, and down in the front row was Dan Zenz, he was taking pictures for the school paper, well he started making funny faces at me, and got me laughing. I was getting poked and pinched from all directions for breaking face and ruining the moment of Celest's big solo performance. Mr. S. was so mad at me the next day he singled me out for public ridicule and made me state the rules of concert singing, which I still remember:
1) NEVER NEVER NEVER take your eyes off the director
2) NEVER look at anyone in the audience
3) NEVER break face in a concert
4) In the event you look at someone in the audience and break face, look at the director.
5) When in doubt, repeat rule #1

Ok, so it's been 26 years ago, but who can forget public ridicule?

Oh, one more interesting thing. As many of you know, The Token Hippie has some amazing photography of her spider friend "Octavia". Well, last night Christopher and I were finally taking down the air conditioner from our bedroom window and we un-nested our own little Octavia. We have tiny black house spiders up north here, she has a small red dot on her back and very hairy legs. Well, poor little Octavia staggered out of her nest and crawled out the window- I was worried she'd die of exposure since she'd just been woken up so rudely from her winter's nap. So I took a flashlight out and shined it on her, and for some reason, she turned around and came back in the house, maybe she was annoyed by the flashlight, or maybe she found the warmth inviting and decided she'd come back in. Well, this morning, I find her, snugly re-nested down in the corner of the window. Now that I know where she is, I'll keep from disturbing her for the rest of the winter. I'd hoped to find her something to eat before she went back to sleep, but there aren't any flies or grasshoppers around now that the frost has come. I'm thankful to The Token Hippie for giving me a very new insite on the wonders of spiders, mostly I'm happy that we don't have those palm sized critters up here like she has in her garden. I'm happy to that we don't have those huge green grasshoppers either.

Oh, I'm going to see Fay and Amanda this afternoon. I have a doctor's appointment at noon, and more on that later too. I'm still avoiding the political hoo-haw, I do vote because I feel I should, and I educate myself to the questions and political views at hand, and even though Christopher has proved to me that the vote doesn't count, that it's all rigged before hand, I still feel I should, so I will. Any other opinions on it? If you go to Grammie's blog, "Awaiting Buddah" she has a list of some really interesting people to read, and thanks again to her for adding ME to that list!!

Be well, DRINK water, and God bless us, everyone!

2 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

Oh my you really did it today ! I laughed alone here in front of my screen and my Riccardo peeked in and put his finger on his forehead. Pookie opened one green eye and wondered why I were shaking and my cup of coffee too ! Arrgh, spiders ! even with a beautiful red spot on the back, they are disgusting. I send Pookie over to take care of it ! She never ate a spider with a red spot ! And tell your snoring cats to put anti snore spray in their noses !

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Well, Janet, after seeing those lopers on Token Hippies blog, I won't consider what we have up here big spiders anymore. She's really given me some insite into what I THOUGHT were big ones, she has one described as palm sized... now THAT's a big spider. My cat Shadow is the bug-eater around here. I watched her one night hunt down and eat a praying mantis, which was NOT too keen on being eaten, in fact I'm pretty sure it bit back because Shadow did a back flip with a yelp I'd never heard her make before. Maybe the bug just tasted bad... I don't know. Reading in Token's blog that she heard her Octavia munching on a june bug, now that's something to make you go ewwwwww.
Sorry Ingrid that your husband and pookey thought you were losing your mind, I'm glad you were laughing though, it makes me feel good to know that. What's the biggest spider you've seen in Belgium?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home