Monday, January 22, 2007

Football and Racism

The Bears and the Colts are going to SuperBowl in Florida!! I'm kinda excited about it, though would have liked to see the Seahawkes actually make it. I'm thinking the Bears are going to stomp all over the Colts, win by a minimum of one touchdown, and the game will go over 50 points. I learned about football from an ex. I was determined to learn about it because I was running his bets and our rent and grocery money was won or lost on his ability to pick winners. More often they wer losing bets. Of course his cocaine habit and boozing had nothing to do with poor picking..or the fact that he'd win on the football and lose it on the tables...but that's another story for another day.

I have an attitude with the "First African-American coaches in history" hoo-haw. Who cares? And who ever thought up that African-American business anyway? Doubtful either of those guys is from Africa, doubtful either has even been there!! Does this mean I should be calling myself a Nevada-American? I'm not white - I'm Dutch, Irish, English,German. So what should I call myself? Now the hispanics want to be called Latino's or Latina's. I don't get that either. What's wrong with person, human, man or woman? Race issues come from within, not from without. Everyone interviewed about it yesterday said the same thing, they'll be so happy when race isn't an issue anymore. So, stop talking about it!!!

Grammie said she doesn't get how Dave can sit for hours and watch men run up and down chasing a football. I never got it either, till I learned what it was all about. It's about buff guys in TIGHT pants running around trying to hurt eachother! Come on Grammie, tight pants, panting, sweaty BIG MEN.... yummy. Plus that beautiful scene where the QB puts the ball 40 yards downfield into the receivers hands and the guy just flies to the endzone. Nothing as pretty to me as watching Joe Montana throw to Jerry Rice then watching Jerry stretch out like a racehorse and run. It's a beautiful thing.

Meanwhile, nearly 3 year old Benny is back to normal after better than a week. We started last Monday with vomiting and completely abnormal behavior for him. The vet thought it was something horrible like liver or pancreas disease of some sort. The vet-web site showed me that no matter what blood work, x-rays or other tests were done, if the trouble was liver or pancreas then one could show up as another and treating one would not necessarily fix the problems, he'd likely hide and refuse to eat and get dehydrated and eventually die. The vet started with blood work, although he wanted to run the $300+ gambit, I refused to let him. The blood work showed a high white cell count, and his temperature was high. They wanted to give Ben fluids ($32 for a 1-1/2 cup infusion under the skin) -- nope. I did let him sell me 14 days worth of antibiotics, of which we used 1 day. Ben got better on his own, first figuring out he didn't like being forced to drink water with a syringe in his mouth, so he got back to wanting to eat, and got out from under the sofa, and took up drinking water again, then he's finally talking and back to tripping me on the way to the kitchen every morning. I thought sure I was going to lose my little black Benny, but guess he's going to be around a while longer. (I should probably call him little African-American Benny).

5 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Kathleen... said...

A bunch of animals...the Bears & the Colts. lol

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger L. said...

You are right...there are certain aspects of watching an exciting football game that are fun! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, huh?!

I actually don't mind the games themselves...it is all of those hours and hours watching the games that amazes to me. : )

Tight pants, eh? I hadn't noticed...ha ha

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger L. said...

oh, and glad that your Benny is okay! : )

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

I can't talk about your "football" (football is soccer for me) because I know nothing about this game. But I am happy that I only read your post now, because otherwise I would have worried about your little African-American Benny ! He must have been quite sick, but apparently now everything is over, because he gets on your nerves again. Bravo Benny ! Our Arthur still sleeps in my wardrobe and only appears when his stomac claims. Yesterday we discovered a huge hairless spot on his belly and I have to go to the vet tomorrow, because it really looks bad. We never noticed it before. As he eats more than well and seems to be OK I never looked at his belly. We will see tomorrow. I'll let you know. Anyway I will surely write about this on tuesday (my cat group)
Our son is here over the weekend with his girlfriend and so far everything goes smooth. She even helped me to get my new header right and gave me some other useful tips (she is Webdesigner). Hopefully it will stay like that. But I think both of us make an effort and it seems to work.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

Thanks for your comment on Arthur ! Of course I have somebody for the cats since more than 30 years ! It's my neighbor just in front of our house and she comes 3 times a day to feed and chat with them, leaves the TV on and pampers them ! It's not the first time we go away and Arthur had never bothered about that, it was even offending ! But this time he disappeared while we were already back, that's why I am surprised of his strange behaviour and it still continues ! He doesn't put a paw out ! He switched from outdoor cat to indoor cat lol !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home