Sunday, July 08, 2007

Looking for unmet family members

Once upon a time, my 17-year old father was married to a young girl. Chuck and Patricia had three boys in quick succession: Chuck, Jr., Ron, and Mark Howard. This started sometime around 1952. Not long after the 3rd son was born, my dad abandoned Patricia and the three little boys who are my older half brothers. Chuck met my mother, Geri in 1958 in Ely, Nevada. They married in 1959 and had me in 1962. My other half brothers, Brian and Rick were living with my mom in Ely, the product of her short marriage to David Walker from Mulvane, Kansas. She was 19 and met David in New York City when she was on leave as a member of the Women's Army Corp.

It wasn't till I was in my teens that I learned that I had older half brothers, Chuck Ron and Mark. Whenever the subject was brought up with my dad, he became vague and sometimes pissed off that he was asked about his past.

After my dad passed away in 2004, I asked his mother if she could tell me anything about my half brothers, if she knew anything at all. Well, being as she's in her 90's now, I can understand how things that happened 50 years ago would cease to hold importance in her mind. No, she doesn't remember anything anymore - not their birthdays, the maiden name of their mother, nothing. I asked my aunt the same question, all she can remember - being that she was only a young girl then, is that Dad told her that she wouldn't be seeing her nephews anymore, and that was the end of the subject.

I got some kind help from Ron Franscell, blogger of fame @ underthenews.blogspot.com. He got me a phone number in Longmont Colorado for Charles D. Howard. Well, I called Chuck Howard of Longmont, and he's not my older half brother, he's nearly the age of my late dad, sorry wrong family. A few days ago I tried a Google search, came up with another Charles D. Howard, turns out after an e-mail back and forth that it's the same CD Howard from Longmont. Oh well. Meanwhile, Mr. Howard is going to forward what info I have to his brother-in-law who is doing geneology on the Howard family, he might be able to help locate my half brothers. I have done some sleuthing on my own. I tried the marriage license bureau in Denver, Colorado. Since Dad was a kid there, I figured he and Patricia would marry there, but there's no license listed in 1952. I've checked for information on the Mormon birth/death certificate website, but without more information to go on, it's a real hunt in the hay. I'll keep hunting however, I hope to find them before I'm too old to enjoy knowing them.

In the meanwhile, do any of you know Chuck, Ron and Mark? Not necessarily Howards, might have changed last names after being adopted by another husband of Patricia's? I'd sure like to know if they're out there somewhere, and would like them to know that they have a younger sister. I considered writing to Maury, but that TV reality stuff is just more than I really want to deal with.

I'm hoping with prayer and patience somewhere in the world my relatives will surface. The sad part will be explaining to them how their father never talked about them, never tried to find them, or searched for them in all the time I knew him. I never understood that, but I never really questioned him about it. He wasn't the questioning type.

Hope Grammie is enjoying the rain and Claudia is enjoying health and her Caroline. Ron is home from the Yukon, if you check his blog I'd be you'll enjoy the story of the Sourtoe Expedition. Take care.

2 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Very interesting. I feel a little bad now for not ever talking to the brother I actually grew up with, not because we're in some weird fight, but because we're both busy and lazy (a strange combo, I grant you, but there nonetheless).

Since, like most Americans, I am wholly uninterested in my family even when they're talking to me, I have no idea how one finds these kinds of answers, except maybe typing "me" into Wikipedia.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Standing corrected. I talked to my cousin - YES!! he's speaking to me. He said that his mom told him that my dad's ex-wife left him and took the kids away. He never knew what happened to them again. Knowing what a raging and violent drunk he was, I can maybe understand what sent her away. After all, he was drunk and raging toward my mom and half brothers at an older age. What stopped his drinking? It was my daughter Amanda, he stopped drinking after she was born, I don't know why, I never asked why. After all, why look a gift horse in the mouth?
Thanks, pistols, for your suggestion =-). I've been hearing from Barkingloud with some REAL suggestions to keep up the hunt for my half brothers. I'm looking to find his blog, he said he's on here, but I'm not sure how to locate him. Maybe he'll jump on here and leave his link so I can find him? His suggestion was to get on live-map and put in the names as I know them, write down all the addresses I find, and send a generic type letter to all of them, someone is going to likely be related. So, that's what I'm going to do, great idea, and thanks Barkingloud!!!
My dear Chris is another one like Pistols who doesn't care about his family ties. He says we'll all be together in heaven someday and we'll have lots of time to chat at that time. I agree, but in the meantime while I'm here on this earth I want to know those that are from the same line as me, guess maybe its a girl thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home