Thursday, March 29, 2007

Strangers in your house

Well, I had an incident happen the other day, and feel the need to share it here with my friends. As you all know (by now) I'm a cleaning lady, this is my 5th year in business. I'm well trusted and have keys and alarm codes to nearly all my clients homes. As I'm in peoples homes, I know where their safes are, where the cash is kept, where their pills are, in some cases - where their "personal toys" are.
All my clients can trust that not only is their stuff completely safe with me, but that I take a personal interest in making sure that they keep safe about it. I have chided clients for leaving PIN's to their credit cards laying in plain sight of glass doors. I have asked clients to remove hand guns from the cleaning area (OMG I hate guns). And in the past few days a new problem has surfaced: One client now has caregivers in their home round-the-clock.
What's the problem you might wonder, well, lemme tell you: They are in their early 80's, wealthy people in a very big house, just the two of them. Their kids live in other states, so they are alone here in town. Last winter she fell outside a restaurant on ice and whacked her head, and has been going downhill since then (no lawyers, and no lawsuit- please don't get me started, as that's not my point). Ok, she has several large bottles of prescription pain medication in the house. Her husband doesn't know what drugs she has, what she takes, or when. They have cash, credit cards, cell phones, checks, jewelry, etc.,etc.,etc. just laying around their house.
Now here comes 3 or 4 strangers round-the-clock. The woman is not aware most of the time of what's going on, and her husband is playing Ostrich. I know the company that these care-givers come from does not drug test or background check their employees unless there is some concern. Well, honey, I'm concerned as HECK!!! Not (of course) that a drug test or a background check is going to show anything. In this day and age a former employer can't tell a prospective employer anything, including that someone was fired for refusing to take a drug test.
Reading Claudia's blog gave me pause for concern because her mother-in-law is in her 90's and might need in-home care in the future.
So what do you do? Well, as I told Mr. Client: Don't assume that everyone is a thief and is out to take advantage of a situation, but know exactly what you have and where it is. Put away the cash, credit cards, cell phones, checks, jewelry and drugs!!! Don't give someone the opportunity to take what doesn't belong to them. Another client said the caregiver for her blind brother was stealing linens and jewelry (for Gosh sake!!!). A caregiver for my grandmother was stealing booze, and some jewelry mysteriously disappeared. The diamond from her wedding ring vanished in the nursing home.
Be aware, be realistic, know where great Aunt Melba's antique diamond ring is, know how many morphine pills are in the bottle, and know how much cash is in your house and lock it up. Lay out limits for the strangers in your house: They are allowed in this area of the house, not this area (in the case of these clients they have separate bedrooms and the caregivers have NO reason to be in his bedroom). Ask the company that hires the caregives to drug and background check every one that is in your home. CHECK REFERENCES on your own, do you have older friends that have in-home care? Who is it? What are the company's guidelines? Do they have any issues with the Better Business Bureau or the Department of Social and Health Services that you can check?
You don't leave your car unlocked, and you don't walk away from your purse in the grocery cart in the store. Protect yourself and your property, be smart, be aware, and when in doubt or if there's a problem, don't just ignore it, speak up!!!

5 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

I must have smelled that you posted something today ! I can understand that you are worried especially because your clients are so old. Of course I can't compare this to here, Belgium is a quite safe country and in comparison to your's it's really a safe ! When old people live alone, they are usually observed by two policemen who do their rounds just for that purpose, so it doesn't happen very often that something happens. And when these people leave their things around then they shouldn't complain when it disappears anyway it's all for the heirs and they apparently don't care so why should you care ??

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Jana said...

I'll tell you why I should care, because I'm a HUMAN BEING and it's part of my job to be concerned that my clients are safe in their own homes. And not that you care to hear this - but I'm also a child of Jesus and I'm compelled to do these things. Like locating the woman's wedding rings, she had no idea where she hid them, thankfully we found them. All the credit cards, cash, jewelry and drugs are accounted for and put away.
As for the COPS, there's NO WAY I'd have cops watching my parents or grandparents. In my opinion and experience, cops are some of the worst for criminal activity.
People leave things laying around in their own home because they feel that they are safe there and should have the right to do so, which God knows they should, but in this case, where caregivers that aren't known to them are in the house - unsupervised, they shouldn't be given the chance to wade through paperwork, jewelry, drugs or money, taking whatever they think won't be missed.
If you choose to leave your stuff laying around for your heirs, I'm happy for you - and appreciate your comments. As for me, and mine, I'll keep my eyes open and my nose in their business. Hopefully some day in the very very far away future if I need this kind of help someone will step up, and not just take what they can lay their hands on.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

Thanks for your comment ! Of course I still read Moo but she doesn't blog anymore as she used to do and then there are emails. Grammy prefers mails. You see, I don't forget my buddies from the beginning !

We drove from Flagstaff to Durango btw !

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. If I'm ever infirm and in need of assistance I hope I can find someone like you, TCL. There's a shortage of decent people and your employers are damn lucky to have someone who cares about more than how clean the floors are.
I've never thought about some of the stuff you mentioned, like not leaving sensitive information out in plain view. My parents are bad about doing that.
Excellent, excellent post. Thanks.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering here .... do your client's children know the situation? Are they aware of the temptations that lie in plain site of the caretakers? It sounds to me as if it is time for them to step up and take notice and help with the care of their parents.

That being said you are indeed a caring and concerned person. You sound also like a naturally mothering sort .... wanting to take care of the world! You are a gem. I hope your clients appreciate you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home