Friday, March 02, 2007

Where's the rest of the bird?

This morning I woke up to find a partial bird wing...and a couple feathers...laying on the floor in the cat's room. I looked in the corners, and around the food dishes, figuring I'd find a foot, or a head or some other part. Nope, just this one little wing is all the eater left for me.
There's been times over the years - especially when Sassy was a young and feisty hunter, when I'd find a mouse or two a week on the front porch. Not damaged, just laying there for me - left with love, showing me that she was willing and able to provide for me.
Now that we have the cat door, any of the 4 will bring something in the house - sometimes the catch isn't dead first and there was one time I was summoned to the cat room by the sound of a frantic baby Robin hollering in the corner, and the cat hollering at the bird. That one was hurt, and not knowing what to do with it that didn't require a well-placed shovel smack, I took it wrapped in a towel to my neighbor the sheriff, who dispatched the poor thing quickly.
Mostly the hunter in question leaves a foot or a tail or a head: some sign that a meal was eaten...but this time the bird must have been particularly tasty because only the grissle was left.
I realized too today that its been a couple of weeks since I had anything interesting(or otherwise) to say here. I read blogs almost every day and find time to comment, even wrote an e-mail to my dear Moobear today because it's been nearly a week since she's written anything and aside from Sundays she's usually writing something every day. Even in the aftermath of tornado's Grammie had something to say, so figured I'd better at least try... and all I can come up with is dead bird parts... sorry.
OH! I did get to see Fay and Amanda today. We went to lunch then to Old Navy for a short shopping trip. Fay needed badly to take a walk, so we walked around the outside of the mall. She tripped a couple times and got dirty hands. Now mostly she's not a GIRL about things, but she just HATES to get her hands dirty. She looks at me with those huge sky-blue eyes as if it's my fault her hands are dirty - and of course it was because I didn't prevent her from falling down...darn grandma!! Anyway, I told her come wipe that on Nana's jeans, baby. From then till we turned around for the car every time she got anything on her hands -- yes, she fell at least 5 more times being tired and full from lunch -- she had to come running up and wipe her hands on my jeans. Now I have several complete sets of Fay-sized dirty handprints on my pants, and oh how I wish I could tack them to the wall to save forever. Sadly, they're my one pair of work pants, and they're back on duty on Monday.....sigh.
We're supposed to get back to the painting project this weekend. Chris is finishing up the wood piece for the kitchen window and then I guess we're going to start taping and getting ready to do some painting. First a trip to town to find some sort of door to close off the hot water tank area. It's too tight to paint behind there - and the different color will show once we paint the laundry room, so we'll simply block that area from view. Just like when I was a kid and my mom would shut my bedroom door when company came. Out of sight - out of mind!!
In case you're interested, I found a nice lady at Confessions of a Stressed Out Mom. I've been stopping in and just giving away all the advice I can and I'd bet she groans every time she sees I've been by again. Well - heck - I've been in serious debt, been partially employed, been a debt collector, and I have some knowledge to give to someone in those circumstances trying to swim out.
I told my daughter I wish I could go back to when I lived at home and my parents paid my bills and I didn't have to worry about being a grown up with responsibilities. I also told her I wish I could go back to that one turning point in my life and change the direction I took then. We all know that ONE PLACE where if we'd have only gone left instead of right our entire lives would have been different. Today I'm feeling like I wish I could go back there and go left.....sigh.

4 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Blogger Moobear said...

Hi Jana! I did not get your email, as thoughtful and kind as it was for you to send. Although I do check the other email, it must have went to the spam folder and was deleted. Please resend to my regular server address at:
chbunting at carolina dot rr dot com.
Thanks hon and I am glad to see your post! I always enjoy reading your blog. Thanks friend.

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

Ha, ha your cat-bird story really made me laugh ! You see cats are very generous they left you something to eat too ! Did it taste good ?

I would never go back to my parents even if I could ! No way ! I prefer to pay all my bills in double ! and I am very lucky to be able to say when I look back on my life, I don't regret anything !

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger L. said...

Glad to see you back posting again, Jana! I have missed reading your blog in the last few weeks.

Welcome back, blogging friend!
: )

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

Hi Jana, I just came back from the sunday market in Brussels ! It was so crowded because for once we had such a nice weather here and the sun was shining (59 F) which is quite unusual for March. The cats are happy and Kim lays in the middle of the grass to get brown !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home