Saturday, May 05, 2007

Its a BIRD and some cats!!!

This is a Western Tanager















I hope the group doesn't find the Tanager, as this is the first time I've seen one. He's so very pretty and has a great song. I was looking out the cats' room window -(yes, the cats have their own room, don't YOURS?), and I could see this beautiful flash of yellow flying around in the yard chasing bugs. Well, we got out the camera and took this shot of the bird. I went on the web and typed in Birds of Eastern Washington, got this great website - BirdWeb, and was able to look through the pictures of the birds in the area till I spotted Mr. Piranga Ludoviciana and learned that he and his mate are monogamous breeders, guess they don't stay together after the eggs hatch, they incubate 3 to 5 eggs and both parents feed the babies. Mostly they eat bugs which is what we saw the male doing. Neat, huh? Wow - never know what you're going to learn looking out the window on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
Meanwhile, the brood of cats are a bit hard to see, but Benjamin is in the green chair, Shadow is in the closest spot to the camera, Sassy is standing left of the wheelbarrow and Bud is laying in front of it. The stairs on the wall lead up to the cat door, and the chair at the bottom is to aid the older cats - Sassy and Bud to get to the bottom stair. One of these days Chris needs to put in another stair for them, but meanwhile, they can jump in the chair, if Benjamin isn't in it.
Meanwhile hope you're enjoying your Saturday afternoon, as I am. I go outside and the cats follow me around the house - best exercise they'll probably get today!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home