Monday, October 27, 2008

Welcome Ruby!!









Say hello to the newest member of the family: Ruby.



To say the least, we're not happy to have found this 4-week old screaming baby in the middle of my neighbor's yard on Friday afternoon. The neighbor kids had found it - and took it around to houses - including mine- and Chris said the kitten didn't belong to us. The kids decided to put it down and maybe it'd go home. Good plan - till I showed up. Turned off the engine, got out - heard that piercing terrified baby kitten scream, dropped my stuff in the driveway and went to find it. Well - there she is, and now she's living with us.



Oh she's so darling. Nothing is as sweet in the world as a baby. And Chris named her by the way. Her first name was Rosebud (guess why?). Anyway - none of the cats will have a thing to do with her. Benjamin has pretty much moved out. Sassy will allow contact with Ruby, but only till the old woman realizes she's being disrespected by a child, then she hisses and smacks. Shadow won't leave her room except to eat, and she's lonely. All three of them have hissed and growled at this 10 ounce baby, and I don't allow any alone time just in case one of them tries to drop Ruby out the pet door.



I don't want another 15 year attachment, darn it. I was starting to look forward to catless years. But now, Ruby adds at least 10 years to my sentence. Chris is not amused. He was mad most of the weekend about the lost hiking trip. Me too, but darn it, what's my options here? Leave a baby in the cold - can't happen, sorry. No woman on the Blog that reads this will likely disagree with my decision to pick the kitten up and bring her into my house. He asked if I'm totally committed to ridding our lives of this kitten, would I give her to the humane society? No way, she'll just be put to sleep, they won't try to adopt a black kitten. I called the rescue shelter, she already has TWO DOZEN black cats. I asked all my friends, and Chris has a note on the board at work. If we can find her a very good home, she can go with my blessing and thanks a LOT!!



Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with her when I go to work tomorrow. I'm hoping to figure out a way to lock her in the kitchen so she's safely away from the other cats and not disturbing Chris while he sleeps. Officially, Ruby is a foster child. I'll keep this so I can remember that I said 10 years ago that she wasn't a member, just a guest... Hahahahahaaaa.



1 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

I would have done the same as you and I would keep it ! My cats acted the same way when I brought Rosie home ! They hissed and didn't welcome the little thing at all ! Arthur the male was the first to adopt her and plays his loving brother. Today, the females tolerate her but that's it. It took quite a long time to get to this result !
BTW my email address changedn, it's now gattina.f@gmail.com !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home