Thursday, July 03, 2008

A life lived in shelter


The other day Chris and I were watching an older Danny Glover movie - one particular scene a young man saves a choking man in a restaurant by cutting open the man's throat and inserting a sterile straw. Which got me thinking....


Have I ever saved a person's life? Have I ever walked up on a burning building-- heard screaming -- run into the nearest door -- grabbed the old woman (and her cat) and rushed them to safety JUST as the building is collapsing? Have I ever been the first to come up on a car accident? Have I pulled someone from water? Have I driven someone I found laying in a heap of bicycle and flat tire and cracked helmet to the emergency room?


Has any time in my 45 years on this planet been to anyone's benefit but my own?


To all those questions above... the answer is.... nope.


I've never been involved in anything dangerous, brutal, bloody, violent, or a near-miss situation. I've never driven over an animal or hit a person with my car. Never been shot, never shot anyone, never witnessed a shooting. Never been a victim of any violent crimes, never witnessed and certainly never participated in acts of violence against anyone else. I've never delivered a baby in a car on the side of the highway. Not witnessed a robbery. Not seen or participated in any riots or demonstrations.


To all those situations I haven't ever been involved in, there is only one thing I can say


THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger ÄsK AliCë said...

I think there is a question where the answer is YES and that's "Has anytime in my 45 years on this planet been to anyone's benefit but my own?"

Your daughter, Amanda and her daughter have definitely benefitted from your existence ;>

I one time had a guy have a stroke in my lounge. I called 911, unbuttoned his shirt, got the oxygen mask down and started bawling. Not all it's cracked up to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home