Saturday, April 05, 2008

Vicodin is my new friend

Thursday morning I finally had this damn absessed tooth pulled out. Since then I've been eating 750mg Vicodin every 3 hours and stumbling and mumbling around here like a stoned idiot. Well, actually, I am a stoned idiot. I haven't even tried to work in fact. I cancelled the rest of Thursday after I got out of the dentist chair and I was bleeding and numb. I hate that numb feeling, I looked like I'd had a stroke or something, and this lady at the store said I looked really tired - maybe I should go home and get some sleep? So, I told her I'd just had a tooth pulled and was doing some soft-food shopping and waiting for my perscription, then I was going HOME and going to bed. Friday I got up swollen, black-and-blue and really sore, so I took more pain pills, cancelled my day and spent the entire day on the couch laying on an ice pack.
This little forey cost me almost $300 in lost income, plus the $300 to have the tooth pulled, plus the prescription and the soft -foods. I hated to have that petty little deposit, but Chris said it's better than no deposit - well not really...
Otherwise, today I woke up sore and with some swelling, but the worst appears to be over now. I don't have that constant drain of infection into my sinuses, and miraculously I'm not coughing anymore. I was coughing almost constantly from what I now know what the infection irritating my sinuses. Chris will be happy if the snoring goes away too, which I think it will.
All my molars are now gone on the upper left side, so I have no chewing platform there. I'm going to look into titanium implants after I'm healed up from this tooth-pull. The dentist said their part is around $2,000 per implant. Then the porcelain tops are done by a different dentist and no telling what that might cost. In the search for the ability to chew on the left side, and have something for my lower teeth to bump up against besides air, I'm thinking I'll probably do it. Heck the one lousy crown I had done was $1,000 by itself, and that was only shaping the tooth base to take the crown and then making the crown and attaching it.
So - for at least the rest of the weekend I'll be eating baked potato's and pudding and taking Vicodin. I don't think I ever had a better narcotic high before these, and I can understand how that guy on "House" is addicted to them. I couldn't function or work on them though, I just want to sit around and smile....duhhhhh.
Amanda is finishing up her first day in Dental Assistant school. I was able to show her in her books which tooth was pulled, and where the big old nasty absess was, she was grossed out. I think she's going to do great in the dental business - she's really social and happy to work with adults. PLUS she's decided she's going to have to quit smoking - yes, I agree. She needs to find a doctor that will prescribe some anti-smoking drug for her, there's something called Chantix (I think that's it) and that's what she wants. I think what she'll do is go to this little walk-in clinic here and get the prescription from them.
Speaking of that - the pain pill is wearing off so I'm going to go take another one and go wander around some more. Hello to my blog friends- sorry I haven't been "here" lately, but you're all in my thoughts - when I'm not foggy from the Vicodin! Talk to you soon!!

2 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

Wow poor girl ! Nothing is worse than troubles with teeth ! I also stopped smoking after my bronchitis, that's now more than two months, but I still keep my little cigarette with a cup of coffee but that's nothing I smoke 6 cigarettes per day now instead of 30 ! and probably I will get rid of the 6 in a little time. I just enjoy these few onces and why shouldn't I have some joy ?

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. In July, after that unfortunate ankle-shattering fall from my beautifully trained horse, I became intimately acquainted with Percocet. I will only say that my breakup with Percocet was lengthy and difficult. I missed him. Terribly. Later I learned the term for missing Percocet that badly is called withdrawal.
Sometimes I still miss him. *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home