Tuesday, October 16, 2007

whining and coughing

Doing not much besides being sick and getting into trouble this week. Got Fay's cold (of course) so have been coughing and sneezing and feeling like a beat up mule in a windy stall under a wet blanket. Chris figured that considering Fay's size that her cold wouldn't affect me much since I'm 10X her size, and by doing the math one could assume that the cold germs would be 10X smaller getting to me, and by dividing the square root of the quotient of the sub-continental divide... yadda yadda blah. By the time he gets out the paper and compass, I'm heading for the computer...

I found an excellent recipe for lentil soup, made it and have been enjoying it for the past couple days. I thought some of the ingredients were odd - vinegar and spinach? Ok, well, hell, I'll try it once and if it's terrible, it'll go on the compost pile. WELL SURPRISE!! The vinegar gave the soup a really good almost spicy taste and the fresh spinach really livened up the color too. Started with E.V.O.O. and onions, garlic, and celery - cooked those a bit, then added in garlic, pureed tomato's and 2 cups of lentil beans (soaked those about an hour first), then 1 quart of vegetable stock and 1 quart of water, brought to a boil then simmered till the beans were cooked - took about an hour, then add in 1/4 c vinegar (I used balsamic) and a cup of sliced up fresh spinach and wait a few minutes till the spinach wilted, served up and WOW!!! Chris wasn't too impressed, and hasn't been interested in eating the rest, but that's fine - more for me!! It's really high in protein and only a couple hundred calories a bowl. Had it for both meals last couple days because not much is better then soup when a person has a cold.

This coming weekend is the big dopers barter fair up north of here. Amanda's guy is shirking his duties as a father and boyfriend so he can go get stoned and be stupid for a couple days. I'm so unhappy with the guy because he just won't get on the stick and be a father! He's so busy playing with his friends and being an immature idiot, I'd like to wack him over the head with a 2x4 about a dozen times. Amanda is responsible for getting all the babysitters lined up - me and other grandma - and daycare so HE can go bonging and 'shrooming with his buddies. His mother of course thinks he's straight and clean as a whistle... yaaaa right. Personally, I don't care a lot about the marijuana, what concerns me so much is that his hanger on buddies are more important than Fay and he runs off to play with his friends way more than I think he should. He's missing so much important stuff with her, and not even so concerned as to give up his night out with his friends to stay home and hold his sick daughter. Even less concerned with his poor sick-mother-in-law that dragged her sick ass over to his house to watch his sick daughter so he could go out(ok, side benefit, I went to watch her so Amanda could work). Oh - I know, I could have stayed home and called him and said TOO BAD BUDDY, you're on your own. I didn't because I knew he'd have a whiney-ass fit at Amanda and end up taking Fay to the daycare center. Will he grow up before I kick his ass? Stay tuned for further updates.

Meahwile, I'm washing the sofa pillows and blankets and going to string the cats with nylon socks with lavender-oil soaked cotton balls tied in. Everyone has fleas or mites or something and I'm sick of them bringing them in the house!! Bugs hate the lavender, and with the nylon socks the cats are safe from getting hung on a fence post. The nylon is stretchy enough that they can get out of it if necessary, and light enough that the won't really notice them at all. (not my idea, got it off the internet). Combine this with putting lavender oil in front of the doors and putting some in the vacuum water and hopefully we'll be debugged soon. Have to bug-bomb the place in the spring I guess. Unless we have a severe winter and all the larvea are killed in the freeze! For that I hope we have a hard cold winter. MORE SOUP for me!!!

Sorry to whine, I'm coughing and feeling like crud, holding my head and wishing I'd stop saying stupid things like I haven't been sick in MONTHS!!!! cough cough sniffle. Didn't have any houses to clean yesterday, and only 2 today, if I get there at all. Depends on if I can find some more Alka-seltzer cold medicine around her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home