Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Toxic grudges are killers, says the book

Well, what wonders Jesus works in my life, and Thank You!!! An acquaintance loaned me this book to read, called "What you don't know could be killing you" by Don Colton, MD.
The book basically discusses that what the reader is eating, drinking, using, and holding in their hearts can cause diseases, poor health in general, and early death.
Geez, and I thought fried bologna sandwiches on white bread with double mayo chased down by a quart of Pepsi and a party bag of pork rinds was a good dinner!!!
No, really. After my dad died a few years ago I went through some physical problems, and did some changes in my diet. I stopped eating pork and beef eventually, and soda pop went not long after that. Milk and ice cream went too, though I still force down a scoop or two of vanilla with blueberries once in a while.
After the tragic ankle breaking episode of 2006, I sat around being bummed and pissed off and put on 20 pounds, which I'm still not able to get rid of!! All that exercising hiking and bike riding isn't doing anything --much-- so far.
Ok, WHAT's YOUR POINT!! I hear Pistols crying into his fist! HERE'S MY POINT!!! According to the book, I'm doing some good things to get less-toxic and healthier, and eventually take off that extra weight that is happy to hang around my mid-section, but that I'm UNHAPPY to have there, but there's other things I need to do to get this weight off, and get feeling better.
Next, comes the grudge ending, because that stuff is very killing. Grudges cause the digestive system to work poorly, can even lead to liver problems because the toxins in the body aren't released with all that garbage clogging the way.
What difference does it make anymore to the girl from 4th grade that I still get mad about that time that she got me sent to the principle's office for fighting, even though SHE started it by stuffing wadded paper in my desk? What difference does it make anymore to my ex-husband who kidnapped our daughter 25 years ago for his own reasons and left me holding this huge Samsonite sized grudge? I can forgive these people, let it go for my own health and wellbeing. Melinda is probably fat, and married to some balding unemployed goober who eats spaghetti with his fingers anyway. And I know that my ex-husband has spent his whole life in the shadow of his ghosts and of his father, never having let go of the things in his life that HE needs to forgive.
SO, Dr. Colton spoke to me directly, through his book, and so I thought I'd pass the name of the book onto those of you that could use a boost getting your health going in the right direction. Not everything in the book is for everybody (expecially YOU Gattina), but maybe if someone that I care about will read the book and get some better health in their lives, then I'll feel like I did something, like Phyllis did - she loaned me the book, and today I ordered a copy of it for myself so I can give her's back to her, because she should read it again!!
Um... Pistols, no, I'm not going to get me a white robe and a soap box and go on the road...I am however, going to start eating more vegies and way less bread and see if I can feel better. Even if I don't feel better, my grocery bill will go down, which will make me feel better anyway!! Win/win situation!!

4 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

From what I've heard, vegetables are a staple of the Mediterranean diet. Why are you supporting terrorism?

I gave up long ago on losing weight, because it's too good at finding me, usually holding eight beers and three bags of Doritos, which is a pretty good lunch to me.

And the only things that keep me moving forward in the world are caffeine and future spite.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Future spite? Is that holding a grudge against someone before you know you have something to hold a grudge against them for? Oh-you and my mother woulda been great friends, indeed.
I don't intend to give up the caffeine yet either. I love it even though I know it's bad for me. 8 beers and three bags of Dorito's? I always liked the Cool Ranch variety with a 6(or 8) pack of Mickey Longnecks. Yummay.
I have cut way back from 3 pots a days to a cup every couple of days. I keep telling Chris I don't NEED it, I like the flavor, which is very true, I make an excellent Latte.
Besides, all this reading is keeping me off the streets out of the bars and out of trouble. Basically, at least until I came home and picked some nearly ripe tomatoes at 6PM and mr. whineyass had a cowabunga about my picking them because he was going to pick some tomorrow and I got all the nearly ripe ones (ate em all too by the way), and now he has to wait till at least a couple days to get any ripe tomato's. Unless of course my Friday client with the huge tomato garden gives me another sack of ripe ones to bring home... if they make it home. For some unknown reason I'm craving tomato's. It's all I can do to keep out of people's yards when I see ripe tomatos on their vines...
weird.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

When I first went to the States the first thing I noticed was the fat people ! Maybe especially in Wisconsin. I had never seen so fat people in my whole life. What we call fat here was still slim for the States ! I have seen people who needed two chairs to sit ! But it was understandable with this fat food I saw everywhere. Already in the morning starting with pancakes, eggs and sausages makes fat ! Even an anorexic. The usual breakfast here is Orange Juice coffee and bread with jam, ham or cheese and that's it. I have always eaten a lot of vegetables and fruits not to remain slim, no it was just the way of how we used or use to cook. I hate mayo, ketchup and hamburgers anyway. When I was 20 my weight was 121 lbs for 5.6 length. Today my weight is 146 lbs and that is OK I don't want to be more slim, at a certain age that looks ugly to be a skinny minni ! I have never smoked in my whole life until my 49th birthday there I started, lol !

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Lots of fat people in the US, and its all because of the TV (and now the computer). Used to be we could go outside and ride out bikes till the street lights came on, then we'd have a home-cooked meal and then play in the yard till it was time for bed. Nowadays we get a Mickey D's dinner after an Arby's lunch followed by a huge dessert and we sit in front of the TV or the computer for hours on end, moving nothing but our fingers and wondering why our asses are getting so darn big!!! Of course, I have been fat since about 3rd grade, got worse once I could get myself to the store and steal candybars for myself. When I could drive myself to the first drivethrough McDonald's in Reno, I was in HEAVEN!!! I went to my senior prom at 300 pounds, looked like Mobey Dick crossing the stage at graduation in my white cap & gown. I weigh a bit over 200 now, having yo-yo'd at least a 1000 pounds over my lifetime. I resolve now to make steady downward progress with the help of this book by Colton, a couple other books by Batmangelidge, a lot of prayer and exercise too. I'm going to keep that food journal going and weigh every day. I took off an average of 1/2 pound a day for 10 days straight, so things are moving in the right direction!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home