Saturday, July 28, 2007

Out of the mop bucket and into the frying pan

What an interesting thought process this is. I have been given an idea, and my mind is going through spins and whirls trying to figure all the intricate details.

A client has asked me if I know someone who would be willing to come in a couple times a week and put together a few days worth of dinners at a time for him and his wife. Which has lead me to the first thought: Well, sure, I can do that! Followed closely by: I'm working 35 hours a week and I can't add in any more hours, besides after I clean all day, I'm dirty and sweaty and I don't want to cook until after I have a shower. Then: How could I turn my cleaning business into a cooking business, make the same or better money, and have more satisfaction in my working day than I have now?

WELL....there's the rub right there in a nutshell.
1)HOW to get away from cleaning, that would mean selling my client list and my supplies to a very very very good cleaning person who would be as reliable and contientous and hard-working as I am.
2) HOW to go to a person's house - use their supplies and food and put together a few days worth of dishes in bakable or micro-wavable dishware. This would need to take into consideraton their dietary needs, taste, and ability to work an oven or microwave.
3) HOW to make as much or more money than I am now, and keep from turning the 'mop shoulder' I'm experiencing now into the 'repetative motion disorder' of constant cutting and washing and prepping of food products...
Hmmmmmmmmm she says... what a thinker this is.
From my management accounting classes I learned the cost/benefit ratio approach to any given situation, so I'm going to lay all that out on paper for my thought process to continue. (I have changed the title to benefits/bullshit analysis).
Any input from fellow bloggers would certainly be appreciated, because I know some of you are going to think outside the pan and help me put thoughts into the plan that I might miss on my own. Thanks in advance!!

3 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger Gattina said...

We must have invisible wires together! Each time I stop here you just published a post ! Except the last one. Now that is really a difficult question. Knowing strictly nothing about it, I would rather prefer to cook then clean, it's much easier (and takes less effort) I also would consider that I am getting older and then cleaning would be too hard but cooking you can still do with 70 ! So it's a matter of how you consider your future because you can't clean until you are old enough to take your pension. It will be too hard. And cooking can be so creative and such a fun you probably would get more satisfaction out of this rather then from clean floors. That's what I think.
BTW I didn't buy my washing machine at the same shop as you because we don't have these shops in Europe or at least not in Belgium.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jana said...

I am cutting back some hours - going to take every other Monday off, giving me 2 3-day weekends a month, and that will help a lot.
I agree cooking is more creative and interesting than cleaning. I am going to be able to cook for the clients that asked me about this every other week when I'm there cleaning for right now, while I think of who to sell my cleaning business to and how to build up enough clients to cook for.
I think I will put an ad in the paper and see how many calls I get, plus I will talk to my current clients and see what they think, several of them really could use some help, which would get me started, but most are going to be unhappy to lose their cleaning lady.
One easy thing is that if I cook in their house - I don't have to get my kitchen certified, and I don't have to buy a health card. If I become a chef and cook in my house and then transport food to the client -that's a lot of paperwork and involving goverment agencies, and I don't want to do that, plus I would wear out my car more, and use more gas. (Plus I'll be getting away from my goal of in-home cooking, not running up my power bill and wearing out my stove).
I talked to Chris about it yesterday, and I could see in his face that his big concern is himself and what it might cost him in time, effort, or money if I get away from my cleaning business which is making pretty good money now. He said to be sure I don't quit my real job until I figure out how much money I need to charge for cooking. Always the supportive, caring guy.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger paperback reader said...

I'd say the measured approach seems to be the way to go - as you mentioned, checking interest in the area, possibly even trying to do both for awhile if possible. It's basically checking the market and seeing what's more cost-efficient, factoring in gas, vehicle wear, materials, how much time it takes, and what's more enjoyable for you. So, basically, everything you already said.

But yeah, dudes get scared when the person we live with suddenly wants to change careers into something that might not bring money in anymore. We're kinda jerks that way. I guess that's yet another factor...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home