Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Secret Sales Pitch, a book you should read!

Here's a web site and a book I really hope you'll read and SOON! The Secret Sales Pitch: An Overview of Subliminal Advertising shows where and how we are subliminally pushed to buy products, or have certain feelings. Smoking companies, alcohol companies, the fashion industry all put funny little 'things' in their ads to talk to our subconscious and trigger feelings of NEED for that product. Screens are added to movies to scare us more. IT'S TRUE!!!

Even the movies tell us we NEED particular brands of cigarettes, alcohol, and soda pop. Recently I watched a movie and the characters were drinking Rolling Rock beer in scene after scene. The smokers were all smoking Marlboro's. Don't think movies are subliminally selling to you? Don't believe that ads in magazines promote sexual violence and feelings of inadequecy? Don't believe that Tony The Tiger is selling cereal to your kid? Well, The Secret Sales Pitch shows places where advertisers and promoters reach in and speak to that "I WANT" part of your brain, and you'll find yourself buying that product, or feeling the feelings they are pushing on you.

Mr. Bullock has been kind enough to have some e-mail discussions with me regarding his book and even though I was a bit apprehensive, I went ahead and told him about an error I discovered in his book (now THAT's cheeky, huh?).

I also received his kind approval to talk about his book here, and put the link in for those of you that are interested (and frankly, you should be!!) to go check it out further and get your own copy of the book.

I spotted an ad in the September Harper's Bazaar magazine and scanned and forwarded that on to Mr. Bullock for his input - and maybe a feature in his next book!! I was amazed by my reaction to the advertisement. It's for (it turns out) a high-end-fashion handbag company called Dolce & Gabbana. In the ad - three very well dressed women are fighting over a nude man. One woman has her hand around the throat of another, with an upraised whip in her hand! The third woman appaers to be about to deliver a smack to the well-defined behind of the nude man - who is draped over a chair. Where's the handbags, we all wonder? Well, heck, all that ad makes me want to do is go out and start a fight! Why? Because the undertoned message is about "the woman's internal conflicts as she simultaneously loves, hates, wants to destroy and wants to save the man." - this according to a comment from Mr. Bullock from our e-mail discussions after he got the scanned ad.

The Secret Sales Pitch: An Overview of Subliminal Advertising www.SubliminalSex.com
I hope you'll at minimum check out the website, at best order the book and get some armor from the bombardment of subliminal advertising!!! Good luck!

5 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

I'll do that, right after I go buy some Rolling Rock and Marlboro for no discernible reason...

You know, sometimes product placement in movies is completely accidental. I worked on clearances for at least one major motion picture where the studio went ape poop because the director had just shot a Halloween scene with whatever candy was available, and no one had checked up on it.

But often, yes, it's implemented well before production.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Gattina said...

With my sense of contradiction I never buy something when I am "forced" to ! I hate these advertising and anyway never listen to it.

BTW if you want to see my pictures from the Garda Lake in Italy they will be published tomorrow Sunday 30 !

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Its not that a person is FORCED to buy something, it's more that they buy it because their favorite star drinks this brand or smokes that brand. PAD says that product placement is accidental, but I don't believe that at all. Remember in "Back to the Future" movies and how many times we saw Pepsi's? I'd be interested to know how much their sales went up because of those three movies and all the "accidental placements" of Pepsi in them.
Ever seen a kid in a store demanding a particular brand of cereal or soda pop or candy? Do you think their little minds get that all accidentally? Nope, its in the commercials they watch every day.
As for this book, it simply points out how the advertisers promote their agenda's with subliminal messages, it's quite a book, and I hope more people will read it and get educated.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

Subliminal advertising is supposed to be illegal but I totally believe we are exposed to it and it's everywhere. (Especially in movies and tv) The website is interesting. Especially the examples he shows. I took a Production of Graphic Design class and studied and saw examples from companies like Coca Cola.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger soumynona said...

As you carefully note, there are no products placed accidentally in scenes. Movies are filmed and directors have a very good eye and idea of everything they want on the set or in these cases are paid to have on the set.
The same goes for some documentaries and sitcoms (of course) as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home