Friday, December 19, 2008

Sending out that gratitude cards

As I'm sitting here addressing and writing Thank-you notes to some clients, I thought it was a good time to stop and address this issue on the Blog.

When I was a kid I sent thank you's for gifts sent to me. I don't remember being badgered by my parents to do it, so maybe it was some accident of nature that I think it's important to acknowledge receipt of a gift, and to thank the person that took the time out to remember me.

When Amanda was a kid, she had to write thank you's for every gift - even before she could write! I wrote those- and she got to draw on the card... till she got old enough to write them for herself - and she did. I doubt that she still writes notes, especially when she can text someone - yeeessshhhh. She did a good job and actually wrote in the card what she did with the gift cards or cash she received.

In my opinion, Fay is not too young to start doing her own version of a thank you card. Ok - every one that will give her gifts lives here in town... but that's not my point.

My point is that even though I'm about to turn 46 (Yeeeeesssshhh!!!), I still think its important to acknowledge a gift and say thank you.

EVEN if the gift is a purple daisy cookie jar that plays a happy tune when you lift the lid - that you re-wrapped and used at the white elephant party. SHOULD you thank someone for a gift you totally hated? Does that encourage said person to buy yet another horrible gift and send it to you next year? Should you just ignore that person and hope it pisses them off that you didn't send a thank-you and they never buy you a present again? Who loses there??

I have sent thank you's for gifts I hated. I even lied and said I'm using it - or it fits great - or I wanted one for SOOOO LONG!!!!!!!!!! This of course only works if the sender is way in another state, and very very unlikely to come see inside your house, or wouldn't see you wearing that orange and purple sweater she knitted!!

So, I've written thank you's for the gifts given by my clients, and I really do appreciate that they remember me. It's nice to be appreciated, and the nice thing about money is it's the right color and it always fits no matter what!!!

Merry Christmas and happy 2009!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home