Saturday, November 01, 2008

I need a girlfriend

Ummm... nope, sorry.... not that kind of girl friend. I need a girl FRIEND. I miss having a woman to shop with, have lunch with, go for walks with, discuss our men issues with. I miss my mom sometimes especially for our ability to just be friends.

When I was just freshly moved to Washington, my then-boyfriend stepped on a nail in the parking lot of the apartments we were living in, and a neighbor lady helped him remove the nail and so he introduced her and me. Lana and I were fast friends for several years. Life goes around and people change and grow apart... or something like that. Through her I met several other women and the lot of us camped and hiked and had great birthday party surprises for each other. Then our men got jealous and insisted on being included - and as we all know, once you involve men and children, all the fun goes out of a thing. So - I haven't seen any of them in a long time.

I've tried to cultivate friendships with interesting women at the grocery store.... Gosh that sounds weird. When I was going to college there was lots of women to hang around with and even have an occasional lunch, but once classes were done we all went our separate ways. I love my blog friends - most of which are on the other side of the country from me, so lunch is out without an airplane or a long long car trip. The cat loving lady at the bank is a possibility, she acts chummy and understands the hard-labor job I have, and obviously we both have a thing for cats - her husband hasn't moved out yet - and they're up to seven!! I'm still thinking about if that's some kind of conflict of interest to be friends with someone that works at the bank you do business with. I think of course if one of us robbed the place, that might look like a conflict..

I'm over 40 and very involved with the guy I live with. I like cats a lot, and love my grandchild even more. I'm politically and educationally opinionated to the point that I have enough to say to write a blog even!!! I have a lot to offer a woman! I can buy lunch, I don't smoke cigarettes, and I would never try to make time with another woman's man, because I have one of my own - thanks. I have time to cultivate a friendship - at least one evening a week. Maybe I need to run an ad in the paper:
Wanted: one interesting educated woman for occasional evenings out, coffee afternoons and deep conversations. Prefer someone who hikes and gardens and appreciates children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home